Home | Pictures | AdandSell | Company Profile

Monday, May 19, 2008

Reading Howto

I've been in OZ for almost one year. I found that my English is far better than what I had before (except for speaking, my Javanese accent can't be eliminated when I speak in English :)... that's good). 

Now, reading is a pleasure for me... That's a positive thing that I got since I were here. It was so surprised for me when I came here and saw people read a book in the bus, in the park, everywhere, while I loved to play my latest nokia phone. 
Yeah... before, I loved to upgrade my phone to the latest one, and I saw that Indonesians tend to do the same. Not in here, only few of them have an expensive mobile phone so that they can play in a bus or campus or other places... They love to read rather than having a good and expensive mobile phone. Hmm... it's just my view... I don't know the reality, but it's good that we don't need to gain all the technology and happy with that. Sometime an expensive mobile phone is just a status that we can buy. But in here, who cares...
If you have salary, says 2million rupiahs.. and you buy 3million rupiahs mobile phone... hmm, it's just crazy.... (but that's what I did... I realize and regret now)

Back to reading....
Here, bookshop just like a heaven.. specially "basement bookshop". I pass it every time back from work. You can find the cheapest books in Sydney there... Usually, I just grab the one that below 5$ :)
You don't need to be an expert to read, just open your eyes, mind and imagination. Everything is worth to read. But sometimes, we easily get bored... 
Steve Kaufmann has some great tips and how to read and how to choose on what should you read....

1. Read about things that interest you.
2. Read material that is at your level, or just a little difficult for you.
3. Learn to read in depth, stay on the same subject for a while.
4. If you have trouble reading, listen first.
5. Let your imagination get involved.
6. Don’t worry about what you don’t understand
7. Recognize that the key is to read a lot.

Well, for me, the greatest tip is number 6, Don't worry about what you don't understand :)
Happy reading.....
 
If you find that those tips are interesting for you, check out the full article here http://www.pickthebrain.com/blog/7-pleasurable-ways-to-improve-your-reading-ability/

No comments: